This is the Pixy CMUcam5 mount assembly overview. This guide assumes you have a solid grasp of the concepts presented in the first 3 lessons at RobotGeek 101. This guide also makes the assumption that you have obtained a robotgeek bracket set to mount your camera to. The RobotGeek Servo Side Bracket and RobotGeek Servo C Bracket can be bought with optional nuts and bolts you may find helpful. If you are working with a RobotGeek Desktop RoboTurret, the extra parts in the kit will help you complete this.
Pre Step: Peel Your Plastic
Some of your plastic pieces will have paper masking on one or both sides. Peel the masking paper off before getting started.
There also may be some dust on your parts. This is from the laser cutting manufacturing process. It is harmless and can be cleaned up by wiping with a rag or being washed with water.
Each plastic piece will have 2 sides - a matte side and a glossy side. When you're assembling your kit, the matte side should point up while the glossy side should point down.
Option 1: Mounting the Back Bracket
- Attach 3 x 10mm Standoffs to the Pixy Back Bracket using 3 x M3*6 Bolts
- Attach the Servo Side Bracket or C-Bracket to the Pixy Back Bracket, sandwiching the round spacer between them using 4 x M2*12 Bolts and 4 x M2 Nuts.
- Attach the Pixy to the Pixy Back Bracket using 2 x M3*6 Bolts.
- The Servo Side Bracket can now be attached to the rails of a servo for stationary support of the camera using 4 x M2*8 Bolts.
Option 2: Attaching the Lower Mounts with L-Brackets
- The first two pictures here show the L-Bracket and bolt placement. Bolt through the Front Lower Mount to the L-Bracket and seat the Back Lower Mount over the Bolt heads. It should be a snug fit. The L-Brackets and Bolts used for this come in the box with your Pixy Camera.
- If you are using a C-Bracket, attach it to the Lower Mounts by running 3 x M2*12 bolts from the Front Lower Mount, through the Back Lower mount, through the C-Bracket, into 3 x M2 Nuts.
- If you are using a Side Bracket, first prep your 3 x M2*12 Bolts by screwing 3 x M2 Nuts all the way to the bolt heads. This acts as a spacer so that the bolt does not bottom out on the Servo.
- Once you have prepped your bolts with nuts, attach your Side Bracket to the lower mounts by running your prepped Bolts from the Front Lower Mount, through the Back Lower Mount, through the Side Bracket, into 3 x M2 Nuts.
Option 3: Attaching the Pixy to a Workbench or Deck
- Attach your L-Brackets to the Front Lower Mount.
- Using 2 x M3*6 Bolts, attach 2 x 10mm Standoffs to the bottom of the Front Lower Mount.
- You can now attach your Pixy to the L-Brackets, and the assembly to any RobotGeek Workbench or Deck.